Blog post for this meal coming soon. We're still in the midst of a busy "sap season" and garden planning, and I need to reflect a bit before writing my thoughts out about the wonderful March Full Moon we are still experiencing, in a way! For now, enjoy this delicious, subtly sweet roast chicken and veggies recipe!
March Sap/Worm Moon Meal:
Rosemary & Maple-Ghee Whole Roasted Chicken
over Root Veggies Full Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 450F.
- Chop up (peel if necessary) the following root veggies and place in a big bowl and toss together to combine:
- Melt together in a small pan:
4 tbsp. ghee
6 tbsp. maple syrup
- Prepare a whole organic chicken:
pat the chicken dry inside and out
salt the cavity with about 1 tbsp. of sea salt
place 2-3 sprigs fresh rosemary in the cavity
baste and rub the chicken all over with some of the ghee/maple syrup mixture until well-coated. Tie the legs together with kitchen twine.
- Fill the baking dish or cast iron skillet that you want to bake the chicken in, with enough of the veggies mixture to make a layer on the bottom of the dish. Fill another baking dish with the remaining veggies.
- Drizzle 1 - 2 tbsp. of the maple/ghee mixture over both sets of veggies, toss together, and sprinkle with a little sea salt.
- Place the chicken, breast side up, on the bed of veggies. Place the chicken and veggies, and the extra veggies, into the oven.
- Immediately lower the oven to 400F.
- Set the timer for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, the separate veggies should be done cooking. If you want them a little crispier, put them back in for 15 minutes at a time. Set aside until the chicken is done.
- Begin checking the chicken after 1 hour total cooking time. The chicken is done when the an instant read thermometer, inserted into the thickest part of the thigh but not touching bone, reaches 165F, the juices from the chicken run clear (not pink), and the legs separate from the bird when wiggled. Cooking time will depend on the size of your chicken. If it's not done after 1 hour, check it every 15 minutes until it's done.
- When the chicken is done, rest for 15 minutes, and carve. Toss all the veggies together, pair with some meat, and enjoy!